July 15, 2020

NEOWISE spotted from Alki Beach

Last night, July 14, 2020, was a pleasantly mild one on Alki Beach in West Seattle, and it turned out to be a perfect on during which to catch a glimpse of Comet C/2020 F3, to which we will henceforth refer as NEOWISE.

I wandered down to the beach with my binoculars and my DSLR camera a little past 9pm to stake out a good spot for comet searching. It turned out to be way earlier than was necessary. Scanning often with the binoculars, I didn't finally spot the comet until right around 10:30pm. Once spotted it was still pretty faint, but at the same time easy to find again.

Comet NEOWISE by Greg Scheiderer
Shot of Comet NEOWISE from Alki Beach on July 14, 2020.
Photo: Greg Scheiderer
I'm not often accused of being an astrophotographer, though I sometimes like to get a snapshot just to prove I was there. In this case, as the weather forecast looked favorable for the evening I must have read a dozen articles during the day about how to photograph a comet. This gave me about two dozen techniques from which to choose, but enough ballpark information that I thought I would be able to get a decent shot. The one directly to the left is my favorite from the evening.

An unexpected challenge of getting this shot is that NEOWISE was so faint that I couldn't really frame the photos through the camera viewfinder or with the back screen. I ended up taking images, and if the comet wasn't there, I'd just move the camera a bit, take another one, and another, until I found a composition that I liked.

Comet NEOWISE by Greg Scheiderer
NEOWISE from Alki
Photo: Greg Scheiderer
It worked out pretty OK!

For the photog types out there, I used a Nikon D3100 with the 55-200mm zoom kit lens. I was at ISO 1600. The upper photo was a 10 second exposure at f4.2 with the lens at 66mm. The one to the left was at 55mm, eight seconds at f4.

I found several shots that were zoomed in a little closer to be a tad blurry. It was pretty hard to set focus!

Comet hunting was fun and I was a bit surprised that there were so many folks out who were aware of this event, many of them back for a second evening at Alki. My binoculars gave lots of folks a better look, so that was enjoyable.

NEOWISE was the most impressive comet I've seen. Back in early 2007 Comet McNaught was spectacular, but mostly a Southern Hemisphere event. I caught it briefly one evening as it moved between the clouds right around sunset. Hale Bopp was great in 1996-97, but I don't remember being able to see so much of it's tail, at least when I saw it. I was in college when Comet West was here and still haven't figured out how I missed that entirely.

NEOWISE will be around for a few more weeks. This NASA site has good info for spotting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment